Monday, September 24, 2007

Flash Forward - Day 3

The first session by Seb Lee-Delisle was "particular"ly good. He showed some amazingly simple AS3 particle classes. He had the audience submit particle effects and he showed one of mine and had me come to the microphone and explain how I did it. This session was very valuable.

Next I attended the Papervision3d session. It was presented by Carlos Ulloa who was the creator of the engine. I met him the night before after he beat me in the awards competition and he was very gracious. His presentation was rather disappointing. Instead of showing how to get started with his engine, he instead gave a sales pitch on how great it was.

The next session was SEO for Flash which was pretty lame - he actually had the nerve to bash Flash in front of the all-Flash participants. Some of the info was ok, but mostly extremely biased against Flash. His name doesnt even merit mention.

The last session was given by Eric Natzke who loves to do art with Flash. His work is amazing, but I wish he would have showed less of it and more practical stuff. He did show us a little of his process which includes a few Flash physics prototypes which gradually become a working banner ad. One thing that was interesting was that his banners are designed in such a way that one Flash file can be used for any banner size no matter how it is scaled. He also had built-in hidden scrubbers to scrub through the animations.

All in all, a great conference. I had a number of meals with Curtis Morley, who is a collegue of mine. He taught me a lot about AS3. Thanks again Curtis. He blogged a lot about the conference here.

2 comments:

Curtis J. Morley said...

Matt,

It was great seeing you again. Next time we are both in Boston we need to go get more Chowder at Legal Seafood. :)

It was fun hanging out. Let me know when you want to work on the AS3 3D stuff. I would love to spend time helping you on this.

Thanks,
Curtis J. Morley

P.S. Nicole and I had our 5th child. Malia Jcelyn Morley.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.