Wednesday, June 11, 2008

2 Weeks In

So, a lot of people are asking me, "So, how is it being on your own?" I have started to dread this question. Why? Because everything is good about being on my own and people start turning bright green when I start describing my new life:

BENEFITS
1. You may notice from the aerial photo that I am very comfortable - especially now that my armrests are (inventively, I might confess) covered in cotton socks. I highly recommend it.

2. Nap time. My iPhone has a great timer. When I feel a little sleepy, I just set my timer for 15 minutes and sit back in my nearby La-z-boy. No worrying about what the boss will think.

3. The view is great. My office has a nice big window that overlooks the Aspens in my yard and Utah Lake in the distance. I had actually forgotton that birds inhabit our surroundings and that clouds move.

4. The commute is now about 12 seconds (versus 45 minutes).

5. Work hours. I get up at 6am, work til I feel hungry, go downstairs and eat breakfast and spend time with Jami and do whatever I damn feel like until I feel like working again, work some more until I'm hungry again, eat lunch, work a little more and hang out with the rest of the kids when they get home from school, watch TV with Jami happily laying on my chest, then I eat dinner. When I feel like working again after the kids go to bed I work into the evening until I reach a stopping point and eyes start to glaze over.

6. Technology. I have the perfect setup. I have one computer. Everything works. If I need something I buy it.

7. No design by comittee. I am a team of one - plus client. No internal concensus building, no gossiping, no territories.

8. Almost the entire budget goes to creative. Less than 5% of my time goes to administrative tasks. No extra people using up the budget.

9. Hygeine optional (I know- this one's kind of gross)

10. No intercom

DOWNSIDES
1. ... ummm... hm... I have to pay now to enter award shows and to go to conferences! -I knew I could think of one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds great. Congrats on making the move. I have to say, I miss the intercom.