Thursday, May 03, 2007

Adobe CS3


Just got CS3 in the mail and installed it in Vista and it is awesome. They have really improved the user interface of Flash, Photoshop, and Illustrator. They are all very alike now and easier to use.
Flash CS3 is worth the upgrade cost alone. The palettes can be turned into a osX style dock of icons that collapse on the edge of the screen when not being used. The tools pallette can now be shown in one column instead of two. These two things recover about 40% of the screen real estate on my laptop. There is now a lot more room on the screen for the stage and timeline and I open the spring loaded pallettes as I need them then they spring back into icon form when I am done. There are tons of other enhancements that make using Flash 8 here at work excruciating.
The only thing that concerns me is that ActionScript 3.0 is very geeky now an a lot less intuitive for regular people. I understand why they did it, but I am afrait that they have geeked it so much that it will turn off designers. I personally am freaking out that it is now too elaborate and tedious for my brain power to handle - and I am a really proficiant ActionScripter.
Overall, CS3 is a very cohesive-feeling package. Adobe did a great job on this one.

No comments: