Tuesday, May 08, 2007

No Longer an Apple Disciple

Well, this may come to you all (the three or so people that read my blog) as a shock, but I sold all of my Macs and bought a PC. I have been a Mac follower 1983 when my dad bought an Apple Lisa. I got my first job using Mac SE-30s, and I have been a Mac faithful ever since - until recently. Here are my top ten reasons why I went to Windows:
1. I was needing a new computer recently and the new Mac I wanted was $2500. A PC notebook at Costco with the same specs was $950 - and included a free carrying case, an extra power supply, an extra cordless mouse and a two year warranty!
2. I realized that Steve Jobs is just a good salesman. I was under his spell. Things that he has claimed to be Mac firsts over the years were exaggerations.
3. PCs are faster. Flash is dog slow on Macs. The software that I use works better on PC.
4. I refuse to pay $130 for a Mac power supply and $50 for a Mighty Mouse that is beautiful but very hard to use.
5. All of the new features on OSX of late are just bells and whistles that I will never use (Time Machine, Widgets, etc.)
6. I AM TIRED OF BEING DIFFERENT! No matter how much Apple claims, Macs are NOT compatible with PCs. If you don't believe me, just try and format an external drive to work with both a Mac and a PC. Microsoft Office files, fonts, and a lot of other stuff open inaccurately on a Mac.
7. Vista is awesome! Everything works and it is much more user friendly that OSX. When you plug a monitor in for example, a nice screen comes up and visually shows you what you can do with that monitor - and it remembers the next time you connect it. No fiddling with the fuction key to get the monitor to work.
8. It links to my XBOX 360 - seamlessly - I immediately knew what to to and now I can see pictures and videos from my PC on my HDTV wirelessly.
9. I get to watch designers who are still under the Mac spell squirm and look down their noses at me like, "you poor apostate, how could you have forsaken Steve - you are no longer a real designer. Only real designers use Macs."
10. I can use all of the software and games that were not available for the Mac. The selection is enourmous.

2 comments:

steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steve said...

I was going through my connections (Jeff) on Linkedin and came across your post. I loved it! I'm surprised it hasn't shown up on digg yet.

I'm a Mac and PC user. I've been doing video work over 11 years on a PC. When people insist the videos I do are compiled on a Mac, I quietly reply with "No, PC." People are baffled! I'll have to share my stories with you sometime they are hilarious! Any how, great post.